Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Where's the Pain?

Getting in shape is painful.
Going to law school is painful.
Fixing the largest economy in the world is EASY!!! Same goes for developing efficient alternative energy, protecting national security, and bringing the parties together: easy, easy, and EASY! Wait a second. . . that doesn't make any sense.
Where's the pain? Accomplishing anything important is usually hard, and healing almost always hurts. When I tore a big hole in my arm on a road that came out of nowhere, my arm was filled with infection. Every day, the nurses had to jam salted paper deep into the wound in order to fight off infection so my arm could heal. I didn't like that; it sucked. The doctors could have told me to relax and sip smoothies while my arm just healed itself. The wound might have closed and function might have returned to my arm, but the flesh would have slowly decayed and the damage would have been far worse.
Sometimes you have to fight through the pain before the true healing can begin. Many politicians and citizens in this country think that with a little clever accounting and increased "fairness" all of our mistakes will be erased.
No savings? No problem
Bought the '08 sports car when you should have taken home the '98 sedan? Good on ya!
It is insane to believe that there will be no painful consequences to ridiculous amounts of credit card debt, an irresponsible lack of personal savings, and out of control government spending. I was really sad to hear John McCain say it would be "easy" to fix social security and medicare problems. I am also irritated by Senator Obama's continual reliance on his tax cut for 95% of people to relieve the financial pinch. The only real solutions to our economic problems are Innovation, hard work, sacrifice, and faith. The government needs to roto rooter the credit clog, and they need to create policies that promote investment and small business growth, but that's not enough. I hope the government and churches will be there to help when honest people need them, but the "I can have whatever I want now and I don't have to wait" attitude needs to go away NOW, and people need to stop expecting the government to clean up their messes.

1 comment:

Janey said...

When are you going into politics? People like you are needed. Same with law though too. Keep up the good work.