Saturday, October 11, 2008

Baseball is amazing

I don't expect the majority of you to understand. The process of explaining why it's amazing to a non-believer is VERY difficult (actually impossible). It would be like trying to explain that jazz music is amazing to someone who only likes Rock and Roll--it's possible that they could acquire a taste for jazz music, but no combination of logical and emotional testimony alone would convince them.
I don't want to offend any of you impatient football-only fans, but I'm sorry that the seemingly endless slow grind of baseball is too much for you to handle. Don't get me wrong--football is AWESOME, but it's like bungee jumping, and sometimes I'm looking for more satisfaction that exhilaration. There is nothing quite so lovely as watching your team finally win it all after about 178 games. (I haven't had the time this year, so I'm a bandwagoner this october)

Serious flaws in other sports:
College football:
The championship is largely decided by a group of voters. Voters... seriously? Many of them are coaches and are too busy trying to win their own games. It's time for a playoff.

NFL:
No multiple game series. The superbowl is one game, I think it should be best of 3 at least, but that would take an extra month or so, which would require patience.

Basketball:
So much is determined by the refs. I know that balls and strikes can determine a baseball game, but at least there are clearly defined rules defining a ball and a strike. In basketball Jordan could sort of push off of Russel as long as he didn't push off too hard. What?

Hockey:
It's on ice. Where exactly was I supposed to play little league hockey in St. George, Utah?

Tennis:
Tennis is incredible. I love tennis. I will withold the explanation for another post.

4 comments:

Rivers and Monica said...

You and Matt can stick together on your love of Baseball. I willingly admit that not only do I (Monica) know nothing about baseball, I don't have the desire to learn either. :) Rivers and I have been married 3 1/2 years and I still don't understand football, soccer, hockey, or basketball.

P.S. Glad you got a blog.

Tiffany Winters said...

I actually really like sports, so I will be an avid reader of your blog. Plus, you have attitude when you are posting. I think that's why I like you and Natalie, because it's always fun to talk to you. Welcome to the world of blogging!

J n J Foster said...

Glad to see you've entered the blogging world. I've been lacking the malnurished (if that's how you spell it) without working with you everyday and hearing your thoughts

Janey said...

It's about time you start a blog with your thoughts! You are a good writer.

Thanks for the baseball post. Have you made it to a Pro-Baseball game...nothing like it. And Go Dodgers. Hey! They can make a come back!... :(