Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Addition to last post

My brilliant Wife made some very good arguments in opposition of the 12th grade axing.

I just wanted to clarify that I understand there are many drawbacks, but my post concerns some of the benefits of cutting the program. I believe that public education is amazing in some places, and terrible in others. I do think 17 year -olds could benefit from new approaches and creativity that they don't currently see in the 12th grade.

The 60 million dollars in savings is not one of the benefits that I focused on, as it only represents about $1,200 per student. The financial motivation is rather silly in the first place. That 60 million dollars would just be spent ineffectively in some other area. If they are going to waste it, it might as well be wasted on our children :)

No comments: