Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teachers and Servers: Don't you dare talk bad about them!

I am surprised with the vigorous defenses people make when I talk negatively against teachers or servers/waiters.  I could criticize any profession aside from that of a homemaker or soldier, without receiving a passionate response, but my criticisms of teachers and waiters make even the meek write me messages in capital letters.

Why?  (Let's put aside the fact, for a moment, that I criticize teacher compensation structures, not teachers.)


Low wages?
Are you all so protective of teachers and servers because they don't make much?  Garbage men, court clerks, and bank tellers don't make much.  Produce boys at grocery stores don't make much?  Why would you protect a waiter more vigorously than a cashier?  Besides, Waiters make at least minimum wage--they have to--and teachers make as much as social workers, court clerks, and even some nurses.  Furthermore, Teachers and Waiters know how much they will be paid when they sign up.  Their base wages are basically more predictable than any other profession.

Because everyone is related to a teacher or a waiter?
Really? The entire professional should be free from criticism because you know someone?  Your Aunt or sister is a great teacher so all teachers should make twice as much?

Because they are picked on so much?
So are lawyers. People hate us.  Usually they hate us because of one isolated run-in with an attorney or based on some running joke.  But nobody defends lawyers.. My wife wouldn't even defend my profession. :)

Because people underestimate how hard the job is?
Yeah, I get it: teachers work more than 9 months a year, and waiters don't always get great tips.  I'm not sure I understand why that should save them from criticism.

Because their income potential is limited?
This one makes sense.  Although some attorneys and medical residents actually make FAR less than teachers per hour (even super teachers), those attorneys and doctors can go on to make much more.  Still though, is this a surprise?

Because they have no control?
Teacher's don't tend to open their own businesses or move to more exciting fields.  The unions and governments hold teachers down.  So this makes them blameless?  Waiters are stuck with base wages of 2.50 an hour and they can't seem to move up, but they could leave and do something else.

Because I'm not qualified to criticize?
I'm not saying I am qualified to fix the educational system, but I think I have enough experience to point out deficiencies in the system.  Besides, since when does someone have to be "qualified" before they can criticize something?  How does the old cliche` go?  I don't need to know how to sing to tell if someone is out of key? I have attended eleven schools in my life. (4 elementary schools, a "sixth-grade center", one middle school, one high school, one college, and two universities.)  I estimate I've taken classes from 60-75 teachers.  I've been involved in termination hearings for teachers with tenure.  I think I can recognize that there is a MASSIVE difference in the performance of teachers and schools and they all tend to get paid based on anything but ability.  I would think effective, hard-working teachers would be losing their minds over the current education system.
I don't think I am qualified to criticize waiters... so I don't.  But people mostly get upset when I criticize the merits of tipping in America.

I know it's probably a combination of these and other reasons, but I am impressed by the sensitivity.

No comments: