Sunday, March 22, 2009

Getting back to where we are going.

I love march madness; I love Kansas basketball.  Today after church, I sat down with my beautiful wife and watched KU dominate Dayton--and life was good.  We could have been living in Dayton, Ohio.  I applied to law school there (I'm not entirely sure why).  I'm so happy we moved to Lawrence, KS instead, and it's not just because our mostly-underclassmen basketball team owned Dayton today.
Anyway, when I was sitting next to my wife and the baby girl in her belly, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I am incredibly lucky.  I quickly took an inventory of what my luck had brought me: amazing wife, wonderful baby on the way, safe and clean home etc.  We don't have much money, but we have a pretty great life.   I mean honestly, a machine washes my dishes, and a magical google box answers almost any question I have.  After my joyful accounting, a puzzling thought occurred to me:  I want progress and innovation and bold leaps forward in the world, but I still hope my daughter gets to experience a life similar to mine or Natalie's.

I'm okay with her first history textbook being downloaded onto a handheld computer like an iPod Touch, but I still want her to read books and learn how to write with a pencil.

I'm okay with her riding on a hydrogen powered bullet train from Utah to California, but I still want her to ride in the back of a suburban and look out the window at the beautiful landscape.

I'm okay with her having instant access to information about the entire world, and I'm okay with her being familiar with many cultures and customs, but I still want her to learn the pledge of allegiance, and put her hand over her heart when she hears the National Anthem.

I'm okay with her learning to be tolerant, open, and accepting, but I still want her to know that there are such things as right and wrong in this world. 

Well, you get the picture.  I hope that it's possible to be progressive and conservative.  I want my daughter to see all the good this world has to offer... even the old-fashioned stuff.


    

2 comments:

Janey said...

Awww, well said. Having a child brings on a whole new perspective.

I don't know how I missed your last post about the election. Also, well said.

Rivers and Monica said...

I keep telling Rivers that when we have kids and as they get a little older, I want to live in a small town-maybe 30-45 minutes away from a decent size city. At this rate, I don't even think Hurricane would be considered small enough. That way they have access to all the world has to offer, yet know what its like to float down the canal on tubes and ride four wheelers in our back yard. :)